Thursday, August 28, 2014

On the Van der Merwe Ranch in South Africa

We spent three weeks on the farm of Phil Geise's in-laws, the Van der Merwes, near Ladybrand, South Africa. My cousin Amaris, who loves horses, took every chance she got to ride the Van der Merwe's horses. Often she rode with Joreth Van der Merwe, who is almost twenty. Candace enjoyed riding too. I took one ride, and that was enough for me! I didn't feel very secure on a horse, so I let the others ride.


This pony had showed up at the farm and decided it wanted to stay. It was nice to have it around, since there were several people who liked to ride, and there were only two other horses. While we were there, the owners of this pony came and rode it to their place several kilometers away. The next morning, it was back on Van der Merwes' ranch! The owners were supposed to come get it again, but they didn't show up again while were there.


One morning we all helped make "cook sisters," a South African fried treat. Strips of dough are twisted and deep-fried, then dipped in syrup.


The boys trying their hand at twisting dough.


The cook sisters before being fried.


cook sisters frying


The finished product.


Putting cook sisters in the oil. Those cook sisters certainly tasted better than this! Can anybody guess what I'm eating?



If you guessed "Mopani worm," you are right! The African people consider these a delicacy, and sell them in the markets. We Americans all got brave and decided to eat one. One was all I could stomach. Nathaniel ate three!


A close-up of the worms.


This was a pretty big pile of them!


Amrie's sister Joreth, Amrie, and Ezra playing hymns together. I enjoyed just listening.


The water tower, which supplies the house with water. I didn't get up the courage to scale the side of it, so I just took a picture of the people who did.


I had taken several little tops and some matching fabric to make some dresses while we were there. Only one got made, but maybe somebody there will make some more. Candace did most of the sewing on this dress. I sewed a couple seams for her. The others had brought a lot of clothes for people there to use. The Van der Merwes know a Christian family who can sell the clothes in their shop.


The dress Candace made.


The last day we were there, we went out to watch the calves get marked. Es-via Van der Merwe and his helper Tankiso herded the mother cows and calves into this pen. Then they would herd one pair at a time inside the nearer fence, where they could clip a piece out of the calve's ear for identification.


 Candace is so good with the little ones. Here she is walking with Priya.


After all the calves were marked, they were herded back to their pasture.


Ezra, Priya, and Candace following the cattle-herders.


Amaris, Es-via, and Antonie coming back from putting the cows in the pasture.


The last evening we were there, Amaris brought out some gifts she had brought from the families, for Uncle Johan and Aunt Hessie, as we call them. They really seemed to appreciate the gifts.


A silhouette of us five on the farm. 
We had a great trip and would like to go again next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment